In alignment with the Atlanta Music Project (AMP) mission, the AMP Music Mentor will assist AMP Teaching Artists with group lessons, provide some one-on-one instruction and assist with rehearsals and concerts.
- Learn, understand and represent the AMP philosophies for uplifting youths, families and communities through the pursuit of musical excellence.
- Assist AMP Teaching Artists during group lessons
- Assist AMP students during rehearsals
- Participate in AMP concerts as needed
- Actively seek opportunities for AMP to collaborate with other organizations
- Coordinate and Cooperate with AMP administrators in keeping track of AMP students’ attendance and progress
- Form effective partnerships with fellow AMP Music Mentors
- Attend peer exchange/training workshops throughout the year
- Receive community service credits
- Perform with AMP or students during concerts and on occasion perform for AMP students
Ideal Music Mentors will possess:
- Passion for music as a tool to empower youth
- Ability to inspire, work with and mentor youths ages 6 and up
- Ongoing membership in a local youth orchestra or choir
- Proficiency on one of the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, bass, oboe, flute, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, percussion, voice, orchestral percussion
- Excellent inter-personal skills and be comfortable working in a team
- Ability to adapt, be flexible and have a sense of humor
The AMP Music Mentor is a volunteer position. The successful candidate will commit to a minimum of 2-4 hours of service per month. 1 or 2-hour shifts are available Monday through Friday during after school hours and Saturdays. Background check required for those 17 years and up.